PRO-CATHEDRAL AND PARISH CHURCH – OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP
The Parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help has pastoral responsibility for the main community on Harris Promenade as well as for two satellite communities at Vistabella and Les Efforts West and Pleasantville.
Several incarnations between 1848 – 1975 saw this Church originally, the Church of Notre Dame de Bon Secours, being eventually dedicated by His Grace Anthony Pantin and renamed Our Lady of Perpetual Help in 1975.
CHRIST THE KING – Les Efforts West
Christ the King R.C. Church was built in 1965 in response to the growing population and rapid expansion of San Fernando – the bustling industrial capital of Trinidad and Tobago. The 20 or 30 years prior to this witnessed the development of the entire area south of Rushworth Street, and including the former sugar cane fields of the Les Efforts Estate and Gooding Village.
This church was the brainchild of Fr. Jerome Koots, a Benedictine monk, who had foreseen the potential growth and expansion.
ST. ANDREW KAGGWA – Vistabella
The cornerstone of the Church was laid on 4th November 1979. When construction began in 1979, a roof and posts were all that stood over a rough concrete floor. When completed the church was given the name St Andrew Kaggwa by Fr. Garfield Rochard.
Andrew Kaggwa was one of twenty-two Catholics and Anglicans who were martyred for the Christian faith, and in 1964 he was one of the first Africans to be canonized.
From 1917, the decision was made to group parishes according to clusters. San Fernando became a part of a cluster comprised of Our Lady of Perpetual Help and its two communities, St Andrew Kaggwa and Christ the King, La Romain community ( St Benedict’s RC, La Romaine and Holy Innocents, Picton), Pointe-a-Peirre (St Peter’s Parish, Pointe-a-Pierre, Christ the Lord, Marabella, Our Lady, Queen of the Universe, Plaisance Park and Holy Cross, Claxton Bay). The cluster is controlled by the moderator, presently Fr. Martin Sirju, who also serves as Vicar of the Southern Vicariate.