St Joseph’s Convent, San Fernando
‘By 2013, St. Joseph’s Convent, San Fernando will be a more dynamic, caring educational community, which, guided by Catholic principles and valuing society’s diversity, develops exemplary women within a broad-based, technology-rich curriculum.’
To provide an educational environment based on Catholic values which fosters the holistic development of young women while instilling a strong sense of excellence, service and self.
A BRIEF “INTRO” ABOUT THE SCHOOL – GENERAL
St. Joseph’s Convent, San Fernando shares the philosophy of education common to all the St. Joseph’s Convents, located here in Trinidad and Tobago and around the world. It was established on May 07, 1882, by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, whose foundress, Blessed Anne Marie Jahouvey, was concerned with the development of each human being to the full measure of perfection intended by God. A guiding principle of our school, as passed on by Blessed Anne Marie, is for the liberation of people from all forms of oppression and ignorance.
A BRIEF HISTORY ABOUT THE SCHOOL
In 1882, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny came to the south and established a Convent and a school in the town of San Fernando. In 1891, a new school was built and in the 1920s, the Secondary School came of age and presented its first candidates for the Overseas Cambridge Examination with outstanding success. This was due to the zeal and dynamism of Sr. Elizabeth Smyth who pioneered secondary education in the San Fernando Convent. In 1934, the foundation stone was laid for a new building, which was finished, in the following year. The Convent school continued to flourish and during the forties further classroom accommodation was provided through the acquisition of the Army and Red Cross huts. Domestic Science was added to the curriculum to train the girls in cooking and Home Management.
As numbers began to grow, the Montano building across the road was purchased to meet the ever-increasing demand for school places. The residence provided classrooms, staff room, library, Art and Commercial rooms, and grounds for netball and tennis, Guide meetings and sporting activities. The residence was named ‘St. Philomena’s’ after Mother Philomena Butler, former Superior and Principal.
In 1973, Sr. Theresa Corbie became the Principal and erected the three-storey building on the south side of the quadrangle, giving more space to classrooms. On Sr. Theresa’s retirement in July 1985, Sr. Phyllis Wharfe succeeded as Principal. Sr. Phyllis’ vision and drive then brought to reality a number of new facilities for Science, Food Technology, Art, Library, fully equipped IT labs, several multi-media facilities and the prayer room. Her care and concern for staff was evident by her investment in the expansion of the staff room as well as the provision of a staff lounge and lunch area. Under her tenure, she initiated and supported procurement of technological tools, equipment and space.
Presentation College, San Fernando
To form well-rounded and balanced youth with God as the center of their lives to inculcate practical awareness of their underprivileged brothers and sisters.
A BRIEF ‘INTRO’ ABOUT THE SCHOOL- GENERAL
The early history of Presentation College, San Fernando begins in 1930, when a small school called St. Benedict’s was established in a lowly basement beneath the San Fernando Presbytery on Harris Promenade. This was the first Catholic secondary school in South Trinidad and was set up in response to the requests of the Catholic population – as well as many non-Catholic residents – there. After repeated petitions to the Archbishop of Port-of-Spain, the latter directed the Benedictine Fathers of Mount St. Benedict to start the college as a diocesan institution, and on March 31, 1930, the legacy began.
A BRIEF HISTORY ABOUT THE SCHOOL
In 1947, the Presentation Brothers came to Trinidad. In 1948, the Benedictine Monks handed over St. Benedict’s College to the Presentation Brothers on January 12th. Presentation College started with 400 students. Bro. Livinus Kelly was the first Principal and served until 1952. In April 1993, Pope John Paul II declared the Irishman, Brother Edmund Rice, Founder of the Presentation Brothers, to be a man of heroic virtue and holiness and worthy of the title.
In 2003, the Presentation Brothers handed over Management of the two Colleges to the R.C. Archdiocesan Education Board of Management. Errol Jaikaransingh was appointed one year later, 2004, as the Principal. He was the first lay Catholic Principal.
EMAIL ADDRESS FOR CONTACT: email@example.com
PHONE NUMBERS FOR CONTACT: 652-2311 / 653- 4595
FACEBOOK: Presentation College San Fernando
St Gabriel’s Girls’ R.C. School
To achieve school effectiveness and accomplish our mission we will:
- Develop partnerships with all the key stakeholders in education using linkages between the CEBM/Catechetical Office, MOE, corporate citizens, parents, teachers and students to achieve success for all, and ultimately create an educated society.
- Empower all stakeholders through mutual respect, dialogue invitation and engaging them in activities to accept responsibility for lifelong learning and nation building.
- Build a strong school community with reduced class sizes in an up-to-date facility for students in Junior School (std1-3).
- Train students to use knowledge and skills that come from a challenging but relevant curriculum which includes core academics with special emphasis on literacy and numeracy, technology, fine arts science, social studies, physical education and religious education.
- Encourage students to study and process information effectively, think critically and analytically and transfer their knowledge in everyday situations.
- Provide a safe and orderly environment where students will show creativity, work co-operatively and have respect for self and others.
- Provide professional development for teachers and parents through staff meetings and P.T.A.T. meetings.
- Ensure curriculum implementation through supervision and class visits.
St. Gabriel’s Girls’ R.C. School is committed to providing quality education and training for all students in a nurturing, compassionate, Catholic environment; such that all learners are empowered to perform to the best of their ability and to demonstrate respect, honesty commitment, responsibility and co-operation to all members of society in a rapidly changing technological world.
A BRIEF “INTRO” ABOUT THE SCHOOL- GENERAL
St. Gabriel’s Girls’ R.C. School is a Government Assisted Primary School which falls under the Catholic Education Board of Management and falls within the Victoria Education District. The school is well-known for holding a rich tradition of high academic achievement and discipline. A Catholic education at St. Gabriel’s Girls’ nurtures sound human values for the formation of intelligent persons who will become good citizens of this world.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
At the request of Fr. Pere Andre Violette, the parish priest of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, the sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny founded St. Gabriel’s Girls’ R.C School in 1882. The school or “Mother School” as it was then called, opened with ten students in a small wooden building in the court yard of the nuns’ convent. The area, which is now the nearby Cluny Centre, was too small to house a growing school population of more than three hundred students. In 1938, a new school was built at the corner of Lord and Paradise Street on lands purchased by the Catholic Mission. The school under the leadership of the Sisters of Cluny enjoyed great success, attaining first place throughout the country in academics and aesthetics. St. Gabriel’s was one the first schools in the country to prepare students for London General Certificate Examination more commonly known as G.C.E. In 1964 thirteen girls graduated from the school with full certificates in the G.C.E. examinations.
Sr. Anne Abrams had the West Wing constructed in a bid to more adequately educate the burgeoning school population which then stood at one thousand (1,000) students. This new annex made room for approximately eleven (1,100) students. In 1977 Sr. Maria Garland had the L shaped East Wing constructed with provision for a library, art room, staff room, medical room and additional classrooms. St. Gabriel’s continued to excel and boasted a stimulating learning environment, impressive discipline, strong religious and moral values and a diversified curriculum. The demand for school places was great and the number on roll increased to one thousand two hundred and thirty one (1,231) students. New trends in education and guidelines from the Ministry of Education resulted in the gradual reduction of the student intake over the years; such that the school population now stands at seven hundred and twenty six (726) students. Faith in God has allowed St. Gabriel’s Girls’ R.C. School “to do and to dare in every realm and sphere,” and to hold top places in the country in academic and non academic subjects. With the help of hardworking trained professionals, a dedicated and supportive P.T.A.T., a School Chapel, a new and versatile Learning Resource Centre, an improved library facility, a refurbished well equipped Computer Laboratory and other improved amenities, the school remains poised to continue pursuing the “path of effort and excellence”.
EMAIL ADDRESS FOR CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org
PHONE NUMBERS FOR CONTACT: 652-4611
San Fernando Boys’ R.C. School
San Fernando Boys’ R.C. School will be a learning institution par-excellence, where intellectual, social and spiritual growth will be the essence of all – growth that would make a people adaptable and competitive in the future. Our teachers will execute their duties with the highest commitment and love.
San Fernando Boys’ R.C. School will in an atmosphere of professionalism and human concern strive to facilitate the holistic moulding of its students, as we prepare them for higher educational development. We shall endeavour to do this by embracing all relevant components of the school curriculum thereby fostering an internalization of respect for God and fellowmen. We shall also strive to impart skills and values critical to the development of responsible model citizens in a modern technological society.
A BRIEF “INTRO” ABOUT THE SCHOOL- GENERAL
San Fernando Boys’ R.C. School prides itself on being one of the premier Catholic boys’ schools in Trinidad and Tobago. The rich tradition of academics, combined with sport and physical education, music, culture and cub scouts, has placed our school among the crème de la crème in the country. The holistic development of every child is a mission which we share with the Ministry of Education, and indeed it is said that a Boys’ School boy is found in every sphere of life across the globe. Many persons, who hold key positions in both the public and private sectors, can boast of being educated at San Fernando Boys’ R.C. School. Not only our boys, but our teachers have also gone on to do well, since from 2008 to 2013, at least 10 persons have gone on to become school administrators in the Caroni, St. Patrick and Victoria Education Districts.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
In the early days the school was a wooden one-storey building at 18, Harris Promenade in 1890 with a population of twenty-four students. In 1932 it was lifted to a two-storey building and renumbered as 22, Harris Promenade. In the 1960’s the school was demolished and rebuilt in 1968 to a three storey concrete structure. In 1983 a new wing was added to accommodate the cafeteria, a library and additional classes to house the rise in student population. At present the population stands at approximately one thousand, four hundred more than it was built to accommodate. This additional intake together with lack of space for recreational activities has impacted on the discipline, standards and climate of the school.
The third principal, Mr. Ernest Walters, now deceased is the one who was instrumental in making the school what it is today, one of prominence and prestige. He served for thirty years (1910-1943). Many memorable achievements were gained under his astute leadership, one of which occurred in 1910 when four pupils won college exhibitions out of an island-wide total of ten. A total of eleven principals served after Mr. Walters who will always be remembered for his outstanding and charismatic leadership. Our school participates in various competitions such as Reading, Mental, Spelling B, Sporting activities and the Arts.
EMAIL ADDRESS FOR CONTACT: email@example.com
PHONE NUMBERS FOR CONTACT: 1(868) 657-9464
Catholic Children on Fire for Christ (CCFC) is the name given to the programme of Evangelization in government primary and secondary schools. Deborah de Rosia of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal was appointed by Archbishop Edward Gilbert in 2002 to be responsible for the overall running of the programme in Trinidad and Tobago.
These southern schools are served by a team of 27 dedicated and committed men and women who go once a week to share the faith with students. The group, under the leadership of coordinator Viere Ghatt of OLPH, meets every second Tuesday of the term.
The CCFC organizes seminars, methodology workshops, yearly retreats and a Christmas luncheon for its catechists. Apart from the obvious benefit of this programme to our young people, it is also extremely fulfilling for those involved as teachers; but many more are encouraged to volunteer for this very satisfying work.